Saturday, February 04, 2012

chicken soup

I really enjoyed reading through all of the comments to my post on Wednesday where I was wondering what counts as cooking from scratch. Wow, we all go by different sets of rules!

A big part of my problem is that I'm trying to balance three different sets of dinner rules -- cost, nutrition, and whether or not I'm the one cooking it. Oh, and what my husband and kids will actually eat. In our house, we absolutely do not ever eat mushrooms, or onions, or cherries. (Unless it's just me and the kids eating dinner...then I just make sure the evidence is gone before hubby comes home.)

We had Costco rotisserie chicken and potato salad from the grocery store Thursday night because I had a really tight time frame to get home and get food on the table so my husband could eat before he left the house. I always think about saving the bones to make stock. Sometimes they sit in the fridge for a couple of days until I decide that it's too late and toss them. Sometimes I toss them as soon as we're done with dinner.

This week I started simmering the bones as soon as we were done eating. Last night I made it into chicken noodle soup. From scratch. Unless the can of green beans or package of noodles or rotisserie chicken count against me. It was yummy and I had just enough to feed six people.

Then the phone rang and while I was up answering it, my daughter's cat decided to eat my soup. Have I ever mentioned how I feel about my daughter's cat?

I might not have eaten much of the soup, but I'm sure glad I made it. Next time, I'll have more motivation to use the bones instead of letting them sit. Or not. They are, after all, only leftover chicken bones. Remember, we're not feeling guilty about chicken bones or wrapping paper.

Have you read Judy's pep talk and the follow up post? She definitely hit the nail on the head with those.

3 comments:

Missy Shay said...

You know it tasted good if the cat ate it! LOL My husband won't eat soup, so I have started making batches and freezing it for my lunches.

Denise :) said...

Haha! Perhaps that's the reason my mom had the "take the phone off the hook during dinner" rule growing up. So she'd never have to worry about one of our cats stealing her dinner! I did read Judy's "rants" and enjoyed 'em immensely! :)

Camilla said...

I tend to put roast chicken carcasses in the freezer to make broth with later, but I think that only works for me because I do make broth several times per month. I try never to put the chicken bones in the fridge after dinner - if I pick the meat off them and save that for another meal, we'll eat it, but if I put the bones and meat away together, we'll never get around to it.

Were you joking when you said, "make sure the evidence is gone before hubby comes home"? I sure hope so, because the implications of having to do that is so very sad indeed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails