Wednesday, February 27, 2019

{Books and Yarn} Bring Me Back


If this weather is good for anything, it's cuddling up under Grandma's double knit polyester quilt and reading or knitting. These most likely won't be done by the end of the month, but I'm not pushing myself while I wait for the first Sock Madness pattern to drop. Tired fingers would definitely be a disadvantage! 


I thought I knew which book I was going to write about  in this post, but by the time I reached the end I realized that there was absolutely nothing good I could say about it. As much as I love domestic thrillers, I didn't care what happened to the protagonist, who stumbled through the story doing (mostly) what her husband told her to and consuming painkillers and sleeping pills and lots and lots of glasses of wine. Something has happened to her, but the author doesn't tell us what it was until the very end and I wasn't even sure until much later in the book if the women in the book even knew what it was. She's a horribly unreliable narrator who keeps doing stupid things and then lying about those things and digging herself deeper into this weird hole that shouldn't exist because she's created it herself for no good reason.

Then the power went out and I found myself with time to read another book.



Bring Me Back by B. A. Paris is the kind of domestic thriller that keeps me coming back to find more of them. A vacationing couple stops at a service station. Finn goes to uses the restroom and when he returns to the car, Layla is gone. The police search turns up no trace of her. Ten  years later, Finn is happily engaged to Layla's sister. They're planning a wedding, until someone spots Layla and Finn begins to receive emails and packages that make it seem that Layla is still alive.

This one kept me turning pages. I can't talk about much more than the cover copy without giving too much away, but I enjoyed the twists of the plot even though I can't even begin to convince myself that what happens at the end could ever happen in real life. It's just a book and it was a fun read.

Disclosure -- The publisher provided me with advance review copies. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails