Wednesday, April 05, 2017

{Yarn and Books} Socks on a Plane


I've got a new favorite pair of socks. 

Cabled Handknit Socks
 Pattern: Socks on a Plane
Yarn: Knitpicks Hawthorne, Sauvie Island 

Isn't it the prettiest pattern? And the prettiest yarn? They were wonderful to knit and fit like a dream. I could have made the legs a bit longer, but I didn't divide the skein before I cast on and was leery of running out and having to break into my second skein. 

Honestly, it's more a feeling that I was supposed to knit the legs longer than that I want them to be longer. 

Socks on a Plane

Now I want to dig out the rest of the Hawthorne from my stash and see what else I can make with it.



I love, love, loved the first two Tarot mysteries by Steve Hockensmith and Lisa Falco. The third book, Give the Devil His Due, might be my favorite so far...and I hate that I can't tell you why without spoiling some things that happened in the second book, which ended on the best kind of cliff-hanger. If you like your cozy mystery heroines a little bit quirky and flawed, start with the first book in the series when Alanis first takes over her mother's shop and starts reading the tarot cards herself. Or start with this one, which will make you want to go back to the beginning of the series.



One of the reasons I enjoy cozy mysteries is that they give me a chance to vicariously quilt or stitch or garden or bake. Mother's Day, Muffins, and Murder by Sara Rosett gave me a chance to experience life as a public school parent. Ellie Avery is hurrying from classroom to classroom to share Mother's Day muffins with both of her children when another woman tells her about the body she just saw in the supply closet, a body that's nowhere to be found after the fire alarm goes off and the building is evacuated. With no body and no adult unaccounted for, there's nothing to report to the police. But there are definitely secrets in the elementary school, and staff members who have plenty to hide. It's an enjoyable cozy with a complicated plot.

Disclosure -- I was provided with advance review copies by the publishers. All opinions are my own. This post is linked to Patchwork Times, Yarn Along, Crazy Mom Quilts , Wrap up Friday iknead2knit, and  Frontier Dreams  

2 comments:

Julia said...

Those socks are gorgeous! I enjoy cozy mysteries two but haven't tried either of those series, thanks for the recommendation. I agree with your sentiments of why you read them and often find myself inspired to go craft after reading one.

Jo said...

Great socks Michelle....colors are awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails