Thursday, October 18, 2012

the neatest hair dryer I've ever owned

 


A couple of weeks ago, I followed a link from one of the vintage parties and found a picture of the neatest vintage hair dryer over at A Sentimental Life. Go take a look -- the photograph of a woman wearing this thing while cooking is even more fun than the one from the instruction manual. Is this why new hair dryers come with so many absurd warnings? 


But it gets neater. Ann pulled out her childhood hairdryer and took some pictures of it for the same post. And that round case got me thinking of the old hair dryer that I saw out in the barn a while back. Turns out I've got one of my very own!  (I do have the case, too, but it looks like it's been sitting in a barn for the past six years.) 


The boys are convinced that it's a little pink leaf blower.

It was my father's mother's and must have been in the stuff I brought home after the estate sale was over. I only figured that much out because her name is on the case.

This post is linked to Time Travel ThursdayTreasure Hunt Thursday,  and Vintage Thingie Thursday.

8 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh my gosh, how fun is that?!? Though I have to admit, I'd have a little trepidation about trying it out (on my head)! :)

Ranch Wife said...

LOL on your boys' comment! How funny are kids?! What a fun memory!

Sue McPeak said...

Leave it to kids to come up with a new use for an old Thingy...LOL!!! I actually had one of those hair dryers...round case and all. I'm sure I never ever hooked it on belt and cooked...might have taken a bath while drying my hair...yikes!!! Happy VTT.

LV said...

I have worn those several times while growing up. Thank goodness it has changed as I am getting a permanent next week.

Pamela said...

Now that is a blast from the past! Thanx for sharing at THT!

Ruth said...

My mother had one of these, and so did I for a while. They worked really well!

Lesly said...

My mother had one of those and I used it many times when I was a child. I still remember the way the plastic tubing smelled when it got hot and how scratchy the plastic bonnet was behind my ears. Wow - the things that lie buried in one's memory! Thanks for the reminder!

Robin K. said...

Hi,
I just discovered this blog so I know this comment is late but I feel I need to caution you about using old hair dryers. MANY of them contain asbestos and should not be used. My stepfather died of an asbestos related cancer and it only takes a few (or one) asbestos fibers to get inside your lungs for it to cause problems down the road.

My mother had one of those also when I was very young in the 60's.

Sorry to sound so alarming about this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails