Thursday, October 04, 2012

choosing fabrics



The top for this little baby quilt has been sitting in my sewing room since I started it back in March. I'd completely forgotten it existed until I went up there this afternoon looking for another quilt top that's been sitting since January. The backing fabric sitting on the table was better suited for this top, so it's the one that got quilted today.

Do you make decisions like that? More often than not, especially when it comes to the baby quilts, I make fabric choices based on what's easiest to grab and what will probably work. (The backing is white flannel with blue stars, just in case you were curious.)

I tried something different for this quilt. Instead of free motion quilting it and using my regular binding technique, I "birthed" it and quilted straight lines around the rings with my walking foot. It  came out fine, but I think I like my usual methods better.

Finish it up Friday is starting up again tomorrow at Crazy Mom Quilts. And Judy at Patchwork Times is having a quiltathon October 4-7.

6 comments:

Heidi Staples said...

What a great little quilt! I love the pattern and all those colors!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Coming from Crazy Mom Quilt, and I love the pattern you chose!

Susana Neiger said...

Beautiful! I love the color variety, within the uncomplicatedness of the design. Great finish!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Sweet little baby quilt! Sometimes it's nice to just make a quick finish quilt and skip the whole binding process. This one turned out beautifully!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Always satisfying to finish something that you'd forgotten about! Looks good.

Anonymous said...

The colors are wonderful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails