Saturday, July 29, 2017

{Thrift Shop Temptations} What do You Want to Rescue?


Every time I see a box of dolls like this at an estate sale, I want to scoop them up and bring them home with me. I resist the temptation, because I've got dolls like this already and mine are sooo much better. (I'll post about those later, when I've decided how I want to tell their story.) 


These ladies were at a local thrift shop last week. The price really wasn't bad at all and I may regret passing them up. Or not. Yesterday, I could have picked up a boyfriend for them....


Teenage Son tried to talk me into this sewing machine...


It smelled of musty old oil, and I convinced myself that it was missing pieces without really looking closely. For $12.50, it probably would have been worth plugging it in to see if it ran, but I don't have the space or the need for another machine...but the last time I was tempted by a machine like this one, it was fifty bucks and definitely missing pieces...

There was also another cute old machine at a different shop, that only for $7.50. I didn't even take a picture of that one. Sometimes I think the key to resisting temptation is not getting too close. There will always be more sewing machines, and more neat vintage dolls, right?

3 comments:

Rob and Monica said...

The temptation sometimes gets too strong to resist! Good for you for being so strong! That money will be better spent on something you love more next time! (Rob)

Tami Von Zalez said...

I would have probably snapped up one or two of those dolls.
I just bought an American Home sewing machine for $30. Might be kicking myself for it though.

mpv61 said...

The sewing machine looks like it's in a case similar to a Featherweight case. Even if it's not a Singer and not a featherweight, at $12.50, I absolutely would have bought that. You might never get the musty smell out of the case, but it will come off the machine.

I don't suppose you're in the New England area? In any case, it could benefit a reader if you posted the names and places of the thrift shops selling these super-cheap machines. I can understand if you don't want to for privacy reasons, though!

I was lucky enough to find a Featherweight for $5 (or $15?) at a church rummage sale some years ago! Now I'm keeping my eye out for one for my daughter, although I'd also happily buy a Singer 99 (so cute!) or a 301 (I have one and it's a dream!)

It's true that there will always be more sewing machines, but they aren't all created equal, and the deals aren't either. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails