Thursday, May 28, 2015

Why Not a Tole Painted Chamber Pot?

Back in the seventies, Mom and Grandma tole painted on all sorts of things. Milk cans, old saw blades, crocks, pieces of weathered wood, those pieces of shelf-shaped fungus that grow on trees...

And this chamber pot. 


This had a plant in it and sat in a high bathroom window through my entire childhood. It's been banished to a bathroom cupboard at Mom's new house now, and sooner or later it's going to make it to my place. Where it will live in the sewing room so that I don't have to explain it to my husband.

Mom, who painted it in the  first place, has decided that it's too icky to keep. I'm thinking it's not any worse than the old cloth diapers we all reused as dust rags.

Would you keep it at your house?

This post is linked to Vintage Bliss and Thrifter Share.

9 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Yep I sure would. I've an old metal chamber pot used for storing my scrap yarn balls.

BettyK said...

Why not. It is to beautiful to keep hidden.

misittyboo said...

I have one in my bathroom sitting on a shelf of an old table. The top shelf has the old time pitcher and washbowl.

Suze said...

I sure would have the chamber pot at my home. When I got married, my grandmother gave me the wash bowl and basin that my grandfather gave her as a wedding present. She had the ceramic potty, too, and was afraid it would embarrass me if she gave it to me. My mother talked to me and now I have the complete set. I would have been heart sick if I knew the other piece existed and I didn't have it. I would have been horrible to break up the set.

Jo said...

YEP..IT's a keeper to me!!

Dar said...

Yes, I would keep it for sentamental reasons and use it as a planter or a place to hold my beautiful balls of yarn or spools of thread in the sewing room.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I definitely would keep it! I have an enamel one in my shop right now.....maybe I will suggest to tole paint it and it will sell! Yours, or someday to be yours, is very pretty! Nothing icky about it!

Laura said...

I'd keep and display it, I LOVE Tole Painting. I need to take a class and paint my own chamber pot!

Laura said...

Sure, I'd keep it. I have several old chamber pots that came from my husband's grandfather's house.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails