Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The yarn for my Rose Ribbons Shawl was on sale. I can't remember the exact details, but it was a great deal and I bought three different colors, planning to make myself some cute summer tops. And then it sat in my stash until I was ready to cast on this shawl.
 

I'm definitely a sale shopper, but I wasn't so sure I was going to enjoy reading about the Good Buy Girls, the characters in Josie Bell's mystery series. Maggie and her friends are very serious about their shopping and some of the references to their bargain hunting adventures struck me as a bit too aggressive.

Despite that, I really found myself enjoying 50% Off Murder. When librarian Claire Freemont is arrested after a body is found in the library basement with her cake knife in its chest, her friends pull together to find the real killer and clear her name. Unfortunately Claire has an unpleasant history with the victim -- and so does just about everyone else in town.

I'll be looking for the next book in the series to read more about this quirky group of characters, even if I can't understand their shopping habits.  (If a pair of designer shoes will last for fifteen years, why do they need to go shopping for new ones at every annual sale? Or is it like fabric and yarn where too much is never enough?)

I didn't get much done on the shawl this week, probably because I was making time to read straight through this book, and the new Kiki Lowenstein anthology. (Want to win a copy? You can enter by leaving a comment on yesterday's post.)

For more fun projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis


1 comment:

Laura said...

I never really understood why some of my friends shop all the sales for shoes and new clothes either. Give me a pair of sweat pants any day! Your comparing fabric shopping to shoe shopping helps make sense of it for me. I guess we all have different priorities.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails