Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Nancy Drew book or kindle sleeve tutorial

If I'm going to keep carrying eighty year old mystery novels around in my purse (and I am, for the foreseeable future at least) I needed something to protect them from everything else I haul around on a daily basis. I don't care for book covers, so I made myself a book sleeve.

Not quite as obsessed with rereading the Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames books as I am right now? It also fits a Kindle.



Start by tracing Nancy Drew's shadow from one of the books (or Google Nancy Drew silhouette images) onto fusible web.  The one I used is from my 1930s edition of The Secret of the Old Clock. Enlarge so that she's just under 5" high.  Don't forget to reverse the image so that she's facing the right direction on your book sleeve.

Fuse onto black fabric and cut out. An Xacto knife is helpful for the heels and magnifying glass. And the scarf, if you're using one of Nancy's older incarnations.


Cut two 8" x 19" pieces of blue fabric and one matching piece of batting. Layer the pieces with the batting on bottom, then two blue pieces with the right sides facing.  Sew around outer edge with 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 4" opening along one long side. Turn right side out.

With black thread, sew a straight line down the middle of the piece.  I didn't fuse Nancy into place until I'd done the freemotion embroidery on the front and back, so that I could decide which one I liked better.


Free motion quilt lines and loops to imitate the book spine. 



Fuse Nancy's shadow into place, then free motion quilt a line just inside the silhouette.



Fold in half with right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam down both long sides. Turn ride side out. The sleeve will snugly fit one of the vintage Nancy Drew books, or loosely fit a Kindle or Kindle Fire.




Now my vintage mysteries will be protected from everything in my tote bag...or almost everything. If you make one of your own, I'd love to see pictures.

This post is linked to Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family and Elm Street Quilts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thankyou for sharing Michelle.xx

Jo said...

Cute Michelle....

Needled Mom said...

Very cute. I love Nancy on the front.

luv2quilt2 said...

I always loved Nancy Drew, and your cover is just great. I love all the old books I read as a kid. Right now I'm rereading all the Little Women books - on my kindle.

Denise :) said...

You clever girl, you!! Nicely done! :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

How neat! I have read all the Nancy Drew books, they were my favorite! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Love your Nancy Drew Kindle cover. You're a STAR tonight in the over at I Gotta Create!

Thanks so much for partying with The Wildly Original Crowd!
<3 Christina

http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/11/10-brilliant-lamp-ideas-more.html

ssjmommy said...

I love this and can't wait to make a cover for my daughter-in-love for Christmas, or her birthday, which are close together. She will LOVE it! I know I do; so one for myself will follow too. Thanks so much for the great idea.

Patty said...

Very nice kindle sleep! Love the Nancy Drew books. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts Bag It.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails