Monday, June 18, 2018

The Wishing Well and Grandma's Plants

Will you cross your fingers for me? I do not have a green thumb, but I really want to keep these alive. I've got a complicated relationship with this stupid planter. When I was growing up, Mom kept one just like it in the kitchen.


I hated that thing with the kind of irrational passion that only pre-teens can summon up...and I have no idea why. Maybe it was because every antique mall I set foot in during that time period had at least one and it made no sense that they were worth so much money. Or because it's kind of ugly. I'm now at that stage of life where I have a whole different appreciation for vintage-ugly.

It's been a family joke for years that I'm going to be the one to inherit the wishing well...then my youngest son fell in love with one at an estate sale...so he's its future owner.

Except we found one for a buck at an estate sale. The chain is broken and the ceramic is chipped and I'm sure it was worth less than the dollar I spent, but now it's mine. I wanted to plant some succulents in it and I've got a strawberry plant full of something we rescued from Grandma's garden before the house sold, so now some of those are in the well.

(Did you know that there's a matching cookie jar? I really kind of want one of those...)

I'm still stressing a bit over the ladle.  I've pruned away the dead leaves twice, and kept it alive through one winter at my house.


There are more plants in it today than there were when it first came to live with me, but I'm still not sure if there's dirt under that moss.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails