Monday, June 11, 2018

{I've Been Cooking} Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings


I've been having fun with my vintage recipe card library...so much fun I wound up buying two more sets from different decades and companies.

One of the recipes that we all liked was the Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings. I made my modified version for the third time Sunday night


Instead of the broiler-fryer chicken that the card calls for, I buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco. It's less expensive that way and means I don't have to deal with cutting up a raw chicken. Remove all of the meat from the bones and cut it into bite size pieces. Place in frying pan and sprinkle with reasonable amounts of black pepper and garlic salt, and a lot of paprika. (Paprika is my favorite spice and I probably use too much -- you can adjust yours accordingly. The original recipe calls for one teaspoon.) Stir together the spices and chicken and cook over medium heat until heated through.

Stir in one family size can cream of condensed chicken soup and one can of milk. Cover and simmer until about thirty minutes before dinner time. I'm a big fan of recipes that let me do most of the work earlier in the afternoon and let it simmer for an hour or hour and a half.

For the dumplings, combine two cups Bisquick and 2/3 cups milk. Place spoonfuls of dough onto the simmering chicken mixture. Simmer uncovered for ten minutes, then replace lid and simmer for another ten minutes.

Full disclosure here -- I don't know the difference between Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings and Chicken and Dumplings and I'm not sure I'm excited enough to care. This third time, I added canned green beans, corn, and carrots. Is that allowed?

1 comment:

sewbusy said...

I think at this point you can call it chicken pot pie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails