Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pillowcases Used to Be Prettier

Just look at what I unearthed in the sewing room! There were nine pillowcases, making taped together into two bundles. I didn't save the tape, but I think they were marked a dollar each. 


That would've been a great price, but I've never seen these before. My best guess is that Grandma sent them home to me in a box of estate sale leftovers and I didn't see them tucked in between a bunch of white sheets.


I don't agree with the sentiment, but this one is going on my pillow.


The border on this one looks crocheted. That's one of the skills on my own to-learn list, but when and if I ever do an edging it's going to be wide enough that it won't be mistaken for buttonhole stitch!


I'll run them through the washer on gentle and see which ones look sturdy enough to actually use. The white ones are fair game, but if the pretty ones seem too delicate I may figure out a different use for them.

5 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

So true, they did used to be prettier. =) I use mine as valances in my sewing room. =)

Bernideen said...

I adore vintage linens and am always on the look! I also like to incorporate them into purses and tote bags! Would love to have you come join my blog party!

Debbie said...

I love your pillow cases. My grandma used to make us fancy pillow cases. I plan to do some with crochet edging.

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Love the "Early to Rise" pillowcase. It is so cheerful you are certain to want to get up and face the day.

Debra

Deb said...

Oh my what a great discovery, I love using old pillowcases, the one with the ring of roses has me envious. When I have a pillowcase where the fabric doesn't feel sturdy or worn with age I use muslin as a backing fabric if I plan to embroider or applique, I just use a spray adhesive and stick the two piece together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails