Sunday, May 31, 2015

Moderation is HARD!

Have I mentioned that I hate being on blood thinners? I ate some broccoli last week (really, it was half as much as I'd have eaten if I wasn't being careful)  and wound up having to do another shot to get my blood levels back on track. Now I'm waiting until tomorrow to see if my levels stayed put or if I need more shots.

Vegetables hide. Teenage Daughter asked if the egg foo young I was eating was okay, because it's got cabbage. And that made me realize that the egg roll I was eating along with it was full of green stuff...and that there was spinach hiding in the pasta we ate with the broccoli.

If anyone knows where I can find good information about which foods mess with Warfarin, please let me know. I'd love to find a good forum or something, but what I am finding is just not helpful.

But look at my stash numbers. Those are moderate. I've only added seven yards of fabric since January. I've added yarn, but I've used almost as much as I added.

How did I manage to be moderate with fabric and yarn and not with vegetables? There's something wrong with that.

Weekly Stash Report 

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 2 1/2 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 41 yards
Net Added for 2015: 38 1/2 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 3200 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 3675 yards
Net Added for 2015:  475 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

colleen said...

We have Kaiser health insurance, when my husband was on Warfarin they gave us a paper with lots of information. And they have an anticoagulantion clinic we could call and when they called us every week with his numbers if there were any changes they would ask about his diet what he ate any changes from the week before.
From memory green tea ( he drank it every morning so that was fine)
Vitamin K rich foods ( green leafy)
For us it was so difficult at first then we figured out our diet needed to be consistent
So tea every day and a small green salad every day
If I had broccoli I did not have the salad.
Colleen

Elle said...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombophlebitis/expert-answers/warfarin/faq-20058443

Mayo Clinic has a great article for you.

Lorene Holbrook said...

oh michelle, I feel your pain!!! I take warfarin too. my problem is that every once in a while I forget to take the dang pill. what shots are they giving you? My dr also gave me a packet with info. I try to eat a salad or green vegetable twice a week. any more than that I get in trouble. the nurse keeps telling me be consistent in what I eat. also when you take your pill can effect your tests. I take mine around 8PM every night. good luck. I know it's a pain, but so much better than the alternative!
hugs...

Kate said...

No fun at all. Hope you can get things lined out.

colleen said...

My husbands anticoagulantion clinic had him take his pill(s) in the evening so that if he had a blood draw that day they could change his dosage if necessary.
We did best with the daily small salad so we could substitute something else to change it our diet up.
The last time he was on Warfarin we were so sure that he would be on it for only a short time . When he got his results and the levels were off we just eliminated foods until we really ate the same thing each day....but it was for only 3 weeks at the time it was not fun.
But the first time he was on Warfarin we really had our best variety by having that salad so if we needed to do that diet again that's what I would do again
We have a friend who has atrial fibrillation (he was not able to be converted to normal heart rhythm as my husband was) who has refused to have frequent blood draws he has his levels checked only every three months......which would be fine if he ate the same each day but he doesn't ...I think he is playing with fire or stroke

Anonymous said...

HELLO,do try this link:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombophlebitis/expert-answers/warfarin/faq-20058443
BE WELL ♥
msstitcher1214@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails