Saturday, November 17, 2018

Ever Heard of Black Salve?

Homeschooling the boys leads me down a lot of online rabbit holes and the one we fell into this week was downright scary. It started with a Youtube thumbnail warning that black salve was killing people.

What? We used black salve all the time when I was a kid, for scrapes and splinters. The main ingredient is iodine. I watched the video and it turns out that there are completely different things being called "black salve." There's the one I grew up with and there's one containing escharotic agents, which burn away the tissue they comes into contact with.

I don't have medical training and I'm not offering any kind of medical advice. (But seriously, if you have a mole that you think is cancerous you probably should have it looked at before you burn it off!) I just wanted to bring this to your attention in case someone you know is talking about black salve. It might be a good idea to find out which kind before you reach the conclusion that it's safe or dangerous.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails