Wednesday, September 13, 2017

{Books and Yarn} I Got Scared

I love the idea of socks inspired by scary movies. So far I've made my way through Suspiria, The Cure For Wellness, The Bye Bye Man, and Cujo. The movies haven't scared me at all. It's the boomerang heel with German short rows that's kept me from picking up my Dance Academy socks since last week's post. 


The whole thing sounds way too intimidating. I avoided the project for days before watching the instructional video. Part of it makes sense, but the idea of matching up the right techniques from the video with the written pattern sent me running for the safety of an easier project.

If I make it through the heel, I'm sure I can do the leg. Or I could cast on the next Scary Sock which looks like it's all techniques I know already, and is perfect for a skein of Knitpicks Hawthorne I've got in my little train case, and is inspired by a movie I liked better than Suspiria anyway.




Cat Got Your Secrets by Julie Chase

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, but after the first chapter or two or Cat Got Your Secrets I actually had to double check and make sure I was reading the series I thought I was reading. The elements I loved so much in the first book didn't kick in until a few pages later (probably because Lacy's father had just been accused of murder and she wasn't doing the stuff she usually does.) Once the plot picked up speed, I was hooked. Although I'm not much of a pet person and definitely into real life pet cotoure, Lacy's wacky clientele is lots of fun to read about.



The Girl Who Came Back by Kerry Wilkinson

My only issue with The Girl Who Came Back was that the cover copy led me to believe I'd be reading about Olivia's mother. Instead, the story is told entirely from Olivia's point of view and there's almost nothing about her disappearance, just a few glimpses into her young adult years. I did enjoy reading a book that had one person telling the story instead of hopping from person to person every other chapter. The question isn't really whether or not Olivia is who she claims to be, it's what she's going to do about her mother's new husband and his brother, who are definitely not glad to see her return home.

Disclosure -- I was provided with an advance review copies by the publishers. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails