Friday, May 21, 2010

38





This is a new quilt and I've already posted about it a lot, but it's my newest favorite so here's my double Irish chain with Sawtooth Stars again, this time as my entry to the Blogger's Quilt Festival.



I love these scrappy two color quilts.

I've decided to name this one "38" because it turned out to be my birthday present to myself. My husband had been called in to work a long overtime shift on my birthday and instead of sulking or going to do something alone with the kids, I settled in and worked on a new project.

(Bill had already given me my fantastic quilty presents the night before, and we went out for dinner later, so everything worked out just fine.)

Especially the quilt. I'd fallen in love with a picture of an antique quilt in a libraray book. There wasn't a pattern, so I had to draft it myself, leaving out the applique border. There are twenty-four stars, each a different dark blue print, and the chains are scrappy.




I backed it with a thrift store sheet that I'd splurged on a couple of weeks earlier because even though I didn't know what I was going to use it for, I loved the stripes and the texture. And I quilted it with free motion spirals, a technique that I'd just figured out on some of the little baby quilts.



I'm wish I'd kept track of which day I got the math figured out and started cutting fabric, but it was right before my birthday on March 26th and I had the whole thing qulted and was shopping for binding on the 31st. That's got to be one of my fastest quilts ever!

My first Blogger's Quilt Festival Post

29 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow! Wonderful blue and white quilt!
That was amazingly fast! I wish I was that good!

Mary said...

good job on keeping busy with something good on your birthday. I've always sewed for stress relief. Love the free-motion quilting you did on it. It enhances it so well.

Mom said...

Awesome!

margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Nat Palaskas said...

Beautiful blue and white quilt for the BQF. Love it - hugs Nat

SarahB said...

It's absolutely beautiful and I am amazed at how quickly you did it! Love the scrappy blues too! I'd say it's a wonderful birthday gift to yourself!

Helen in the UK said...

Congrats on your fast finish!! Great quilt and the quilting is wonderful :)

Lonci said...

Beautiful, i like the colors what you chose:)

Carol said...

Wow. That came together quickly. Nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

Marie said...

lovely quilt

June said...

I love blue star quilts, too. Yours is just beautiful. (My birthday is 3/28!)

Miri said...

Beautiful blue and white quilt!

Lynn Koeppen said...

Beautiful! I have never tried a 2 color quilt. You are speedy, girl! I think that just might be a record! :-)

Karen said...

that is one delicious quilt. Love the stars between the irish chains.

Denise said...

Great quilt! Love blue and white quilts!

Shannon w/ Monkey Dog Quilts said...

Fantabulous quilt! I love Irish Chains, but have not gotten up the nerve to try one. Hmm.....will put this on my To-Sew List! Thanks for the inspiration. Sew On!

SewCalGal said...

What a delightful quilt. Beautiful design and I love the colors. Great job.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Oddbjørg said...

Lovely!

Michelle said...

Stunning! I'm beginning to have a real love for scrappy, yet color controlled quilts. Yours is just beautiful.

Raewyn said...

What a lovely quilt; the colour scheme and the stars are all so effective!! You 've got me wanting to make one now!!

Unknown said...

what a great idea for a birthday gift. i gotta try that sometime. your quilt is so lovely with all those intricate squares and stars. and the quilting is so carefree. what a fabulous job, you've done!

Heather said...

Ihaven't seen a double Irish chain with such a lovely centre before. Great idea. Love the quilting.

QuiltSue said...

It's absolutely beautiful. I love it.

Cecily said...

Really beautiful... love it.

Anonymous said...

I really love your quilt. Beautiful!

Mary said...

Lovely! I've always wanted a scrappy two color quilt but never seem to get around to making one. This is a wonderful pattern.

Eileen said...

lovely colors--and your design is fantastic--i love stars--the few i've made were hard but so worth it. you whole quilt full of them is just so fun to see. thanks for sharing!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Seriously quick finish! Good for you....love sewing opportunities like that! The blue and white is a beautiful classic! Yours came out wonderfully.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

PS I added myself as a GFC follower! Looking forward to your future creative work. :)V

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails