Tuesday, August 23, 2011

WFMW - Old Sleeping Bags



I am, according to my five year old, "a terrible camper." Unlike their dad -- he's a great camper.

No one has told me what the criteria for being a great camper actually is, but I suspect that great campers have to actually like sleeping in a tent. I'll do it because it stretches our travelling budget, or because it sometimes is the only way to be close to what we want to do, but I rarely get the urge to go sleep in the tent just for the sake of sleeping in the tent.

I happen to own a very nice mummy bag that's rated to fifteen degrees below zero. (Do I even need to mention that I'm never ever going to want to be where it's that cold, let alone in my sleeping bag where it's that cold?)

Last year, or maybe the year before, we were at an estate sale and saw two very nice, very old, sleeping bags for dirt cheap. I think the plan was to let the kids use them. But they work really well for grownups. They aren't claustrophobic. The flannel is comfortable and isn't constantly getting stuck in the zippers. They're easier to roll up. (I can make a quilt from start to finish. I can knit socks. I can knit lace. I cannot roll sleeping bags and get them into their compression bags.)

We're not backpackers so I don't need the latest high tech stuff. And I've decided that I really do prefer my old sleeping bags.

For more Works for Me Wednesday posts, visit We are THAT Family

1 comment:

Andrea @ The Greenbacks Gal said...

Great garage sale find. I love camping - but have to admit that has been since we got a blow-up mattress to sleep on in the tent! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails