Tuesday, January 29, 2013

{what's cooking?} Alex's Hot and Sour Soup

When Judy said we were doing tofu this week, my heart sank a bit. Not because I don't like tofu -- in some recipes, I absolutely love it. But hubby had just made his wonderful soup with the tofu and bok choy and udon noodles the night before...there was no chance of getting him to make it again before today. 

And it didn't occur me me until just now that I could have taken a pretty picture of the leftovers and cheated!  Teenage Daughter heard me talking about sitting this week out and jumped on the opportunity to make her hot and sour soup.  It's absolutely loaded with mushrooms, so Hubby and the boys won't eat it. It's a rare treat that the two of us enjoy for lunch or a late night snack.

Alex's Hot and Sour Soup



Ingredients:
6 cups chicken broth
6 oz sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 can water chestnuts
1 tsp grated ginger root
1 tsp pepper
1/2 a package of firm tofu
1 tbsp cornstarch,
1/4 cup (about a handful) of soaked and rinsed black tree ear fungus
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp soy sauce

In large pot combine broth, mushrooms, vinegar, pepper, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and bring to a boil. Cover with lid, reduce heat and simmer two minutes. Add tofu, cover again and simmer two minutes.
Stir cornstarch and one tbsp very cold water together and stir into broth. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir two minutes more.

Gently pour egg in a thin stream into the soup to create shreds. Stir one or two times but no more or the egg will turn into mush.

Remove from heat and garnish with green onions.
Makes four servings.

Notes -- Alex's results with this recipe have been kind of hit-or-miss, possibly because no one in this house uses measuring cups for much of anything. This batch turned out great, and she measured things as she was adding them. Do not substitute regular vinegar!  We've tried it with truly frightening results. Feel free to leave out the black tree ear fungus. I like it best when she adds a bit of chopped and cooked pork.

This post is linked to  What's Cooking at Patchwork Times and WFMW at We are THAT Family.

4 comments:

krisgray said...

Sounds, and looks, good - thanks for the recipe!

Jo said...

what is black tree ear fungus??
I don't think I can find that around here but I might try it without it.

Julianne said...

This does sound good, I might like tofu this way.

Stella Nemeth said...

I love hot and sour soup. It is one of the few places where I enjoy tofu. Mostly I won't eat the stuff, but in soup it is just perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails