Monday, January 07, 2013

Scrappy Trips with narrower strips

 
My constantly evolving plan for this year includes making the fifty baby quilts and, because I know I'd get completely bored by all baby quilts all the time, making some big scrap quilts for myself. The cheddar bowties are top of the list, followed by my barely-started lego quilt and Scrap Vomit.
 
And this one, which is brand-spanking new and just got started last night: 
 

I've been seeing Scrappy Trips Around the World all over this week. I love that pattern, and a super-scrappy one has always been in the plan, but the fabric selection scared me. I don't know that I could get that many 16" strips out of my stash -- not in the variety of colors I'd want... And what if they fell in wonky places like my Blue Bargello? (I've finally made peace with that one and decided that it's one of my favorite snuggling up quilts. But I still don't love the placement of those dark blue strips.)

Then I saw what Karin over at Cascade Quilts had done with her Scrappy Trips -- 1 1/2" strips! Hers are from a honey bun and all nicely coordinated. Mine were raided from the pile of strips for my Lego quilt.

1 1/2" x 10" strips? I can cut those from almost anything!  I've already been going through my bags of strings and running the ones that are wide enough through my Go!  for the Lego quilt. If they're long enough, I'll take a strip for this project.

Everyone's pretty pictures make me want to hurry up and get Quinn's green Trip Around the World quilted, but I think I want to do that one on the longarm. Which is going to require scheduling.

To see more design walls, head over to Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I would get bored with 50 baby quilts too. That is a LOT.

Harriett said...

Great ideal to use the thinner strips

Natasha said...

It has been so fun to come across these blocks lately! It looks great!

Terri in BC said...

Thanks for the idea of using smaller strips. Last night, I made a pillow cover for a my granddaughter with the leftovers from her quilt!

Anonymous said...

Looks great and using little strips is possible with my stash. I hope you can get it quilted soon!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your colors are great! Thanks for sharing the 1 1/2 inch one.... scraps are the word of choice for me for January!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails