Monday, January 09, 2012

regrouping again

I don't like counting pieces of fabric. That's one of the reasons why I make so many of my quilts with 2 1/2" squares, so I can cut tons and tons of squares and use what I need and toss the rest into the box to use for the next quilt.

Orca Bay is going to involve a whole lot of counting, but I'm using every trick I know about putting things in stacks and pinning them together and writing myself notes. And sometimes you've just gotta count.



Not knowing how many strips I had was the biggest reason Quinn's Scrappy Trip Around the World has been stalled for so long. When I started the project, I didn't know how many green fabrics were in my stash, or how big I wanted the quilt to be. I cut strips from as many green fabrics as I could find in my stash, and the ones Jan sent me. Somewhere along the line I decided to make it 72" square.

Ever since, I've avoided counting my green strips. I don't know how many I started with, but I do know I've lost some. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some partially assembled blocks around here someplace, but if I wait until I find them the kid will never have a quilt.



My goal for Sunday was to figure out how many blocks I had finished, how many blocks I had started, and how many strips I'd need for the rest. And to count the green strips.

I have exactly the number of strips I need. There is no excuse not to finish this quilt.

I know I've made more bowties than this! I remember sewing them in fabrics that aren't here...and I very vaguely remember deciding to put the finished ones in a safe place.




To see more design walls, head over to Patchwork Times. For more Orca Bay and Bow Tie progress, head over to Quiltville. And don't forget to check out my new pattern, 30s Barn Raising and enter to win a Moda Jelly Roll and the background fabric to make the quilt.

10 comments:

beaquilter said...

your progress looks good, funny how your things are all scattered though :-) I'm like that too with some things, I do have these plastic bins from walmart with a snap on lid that are sort of flat, maybe a few inches tall, I put my UFOs in those, if I lose interest in the project, I close it and put in on the shelf.

heather said...

I have some blocks in that magical "safe place" too. I hope to find them someday.

marcella said...

Counting is darn hard and not so very rewarding. I dislike patterns that tell me to cut 472 triangles - I just don't want to know :-) But the mystery has been fun in spite of the counting. The green quilt is looking great too - hope it comes together quickly for you.

Mary said...

Glad I'm not the only one who put my Bow ties in a 'safe' place. I count as I'm cutting and put them in stacks of ten or whatever the pattern calls for. Love my blue painters tape and baggies to do this.

Libby said...

I love your Scrappy Trip around the World!! It is looking so great!
Sigh..My daughter had a large decorative button fall off of her dress. I put the button in "a safe place" Maybe it's with your bow ties???

Jan said...

Your Moda Bake Shop pattern is so adorable, and I love your green Trip blocks!

Denise :) said...

Your bow ties are awesome!! I'd like to do a bow tie quilt some day. Your green quilt is gorgeous! :)

Kim D. said...

Love your trip around the world blocks, it will make a very pretty quilt. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my strawberry pie pincushion.

Teresa said...

Oh No ! Not another person who has a special safe place to hide things! I found a Christmas gift for my son - from last year - while hunting for a gift that I had hidden in my "special" hiding place. Good luck in finding your blocks :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh boy if you have exactly enough green, I think it Is telling you to work on it :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails