Monday, January 02, 2012

I need something to quilt

It seems like everyone is talking about free motion quilting right now. SewCalGal has her Free-Motion Quilting Challenge. The PajamaQuilter has one of her DVDs on sale -- I'm trying to convince my husband to buy it for me for a belated Christmas present, but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

I was watching the trailer for the PajamaQuilter DVD on You Tube and stumbled across this video showing how to free motion quilt swirly hearts. I could do that! I just need something to quilt hearts on.

Which means making a new baby quilt.

I love these scrappy hearts, which I originally found in one of my old quilting magazines. I think this is the fourth time I've made a baby quilt using this basic pattern.



Four hearts hasn't been quite big enough for a baby blanket. Nine is bigger than I feel like doing right now. Last time, I added a border to bring the size up by a couple of inches, but I really didn't love that solution.

This time, I changed the size of the squares from 2 1/2" to 3", which brought the quilt up to just the size I wanted. I couldn't use my pre-cut bins of squares for this project, but while I was at it I cut enough extras for a second baby quilt. Part of me feels like I'm cheating by using bigger squares instead of making more blocks, but I want to try those swirly hearts now

To see what other quilters are working on, head over to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.

Have you seen Bonnie's finished Orca Bay quilt? I'm completely blown away - and more than a little intimidated. If I hadn't started with clue #1, I'm not sure I'd
have the nerve to start at all now that I've seen the finished project.

I've got about fifty of the quarter square triangle units from clue #1 done, and a handful of blue squares, and one Ohio Star block. I think I'm going to try that tactic someone mentioned recently for dealing with UFOs -- do an hour of clue #1, an hour of clue #2, and keep going an hour at a time until I've got my own Orca Bay quilt.



Be sure to come back Thursday to see my Moda Bake Shop quilt and enter the Fat Quarter Shop giveaway!

5 comments:

beaquilter said...

everything looks great! your Orca pieces look good too, I'm hating mine :-( but Bonnie's quilt just looked AWESOME....
What do you not have to quilt or need to quilt?

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Nice Post! Happy New Year!

Quilty Conscience said...

Your scrappy hearts quilt is so cute. I love scrappy quilts and the hearts are perfect for a baby quilt. Toni

Denise :) said...

So it's a 9-patch with 3" squares ... and then how do you do the tops of the hearts?! I really like this look and the layout of it -- what will your finished size end up being?!? Happy design wall day! LOL! :)

Denise :) said...

Just thought I'd share this with you -- I came back to this post to get the exact URL -- I'm submitting the quilt *I* made from this darling pattern to a juried exhibit our Huntsville Museum of Art is doing on small quilts. I'm really excited and just love this pattern -- I hope it makes it in the exhibit!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails