Friday, August 26, 2011

another top together



When I posted about these blocks on Design Wall Monday earlier this month, I was planning to take them apart because I didn't have any matching fabric for the sixteenth block center or the sashing. I didn't want to take them apart, but I didn't see much choice.

All of the comments on that post urged me not to do it. Here I thought I was being a good quilter and doing it "right" -- which isn't the way I quilt at all -- and the real quilters told me to just finish them up with something else and no one would ever know the difference. I wasn't sure what I originally used for those center pieces, but it definitely wasn't the same stuff I'm using for white backgrounds now. Different color, different texture... I stopped at Joann's to see if I could find a closer match.

That mystery stuff I used for the block centers? Turns out it was unbleached craft muslin. (Don't ask -- this was one of my earliest quilting projects and I really don't know what I was thinking.) I bought a yard, even though what they had on the bolt didn't match the fabric in my quilt. Now that the blocks are together, I can't pick out the block with new fabric from the original blocks.

It's for the little guys, so I'm not sure what I'm going to back it with. Nothing too light -- I've made that mistake with their quilts before!

I'm linking this one to Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? because getting a top together after the blocks have sat for this long just has to qualify for some jumping and shouting!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this quilt - it's so pretty!

Sarah Craig said...

That quilt top is definitely worth some jumping and shouting - I love it! Whoop whoop!!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Perfect post to rejuvenate under our Sashing Tuesday Archives theme this week! Thanks for sharing...your finish is inspiring!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails