Sunday, November 08, 2015

I'm Mad at My Socks

A couple of hours after taking the picture for my weekly Yarn Along post, I wound up frogging my plain stockinette sock. Something had gone very wrong with the short row heel and no amount of fiddling or cheating was going to make it right. I did try to rip back to the foot and pick up stitches, but that yarn is splitty and cranky and difficult and I'd had to cut and rejoin the yarn just above the toe because there was a knot in the skein. I'd dropped a stitch in the middle of a heel and my job of laddering it back up was less than perfect.

It seemed like the best idea to just frog the whole thing and cast on a new sock. I got through the new toe, being extra careful.  I was going to avoid everything that had gone wrong in the sock I'd just unravelled.  Just past the toe, I sat it down for a moment and managed to drop a dozen stitches. No one else was near the thing. I don't know what I did, but unless this yarn is possessed and able to move on its own, it was me.

I've unraveled the sock again and I'm going to try it again later. The first sock of the pair is finished, otherwise I'd be tempted to get rid of the yarn or hide it at the bottom of a bin. Maybe the jinx will wear off while I'm working on another pair....

Is this what I get for admitting that I don't use lifelines? I've knit twenty pairs so far this year and except for my decision to make the owl socks the wrong size, none of them has gone wrong.

Hopefully one of these yarns will be easier to work with.



Weekly Stash Report

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 6 1/4 yards
Added this week: 0 yards
Added year to date: 403 1/2 yards
Net added for 2015: 397 3/4 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 8000 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 9939 yards
Net Added for 2015: 1939 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.


2 comments:

Laura said...

Your title made me laugh. I hope your next sock goes better!

Judy S. said...

Sometimes you just have to send the project to time out until it decides to cooperate! (Ask me how I know. LOL)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails