I made Sparking Gems in 2010. And then I forgot about it.
This is one of those patterns I saw in a magazine and thought I could do. There was something with plastic templates that I can't quite remember... I think it was a trick to get out of cutting actual triangles. Back then that was appealing, but today I'd just pull out the Easy Angle and skip all of the extra steps and trimming.
I dug into my scrap bags and used all sorts of wild prints for this one. There was more than one moment of panic where I was sure that it wouldn't all pull together.
At 70x82", it's one of the biggest projects I've quilted on my Janome. The backing was a thrift store sheet, but it was too narrow so I wound up adding strips from the matching pillowcases. The pieced border is from a floral shirt I found in the Goodwill bins and the binding is some extra that a friend of my mom's was throwing away because she'd made way too much for her own quilt.
I doubt that I'd make those same fabric choices today. Or a quilt with patches this large.