Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Little Letters




Alphabet samplers make me smile. A few years back, I got the idea to make one with free pieced letters. Sixteen letters into the project, I decided that I was in over my head and tucked it away. Looking back at that post, those blocks aren't as bad as I remember....maybe I should dig them out. 

I've got a whole bolt of this fabric, black flowers on dark grey that look solid from any distance at all. When I saw the posts for Little Letters over at Temecula Quilt Company, I knew I wanted to start it. There was a little bit of a wait before instructions for the first block were posted and I forgot. Then I remembered, made a few letters, got sidelined again. Then they posted X Y and Z all in one post and I got sewing. 

I wanted a pieced border for my quilt, something that would make it feel more like a stitched sampler... (And isn't it cool that this one is dated and I can tell when I made that project instead of trying to figure it out from old blog posts like I usually wind up doing?) 


Honestly, I think my favorite part of this tutorial series was the pictures of stencils and apples and rulers. The letters look nothing at all like those stencils, but I'm going to think of them every time I look at this quilt.

Maybe it's time to make some more of those itty bitty cake stands....or the 2" bowties....or Summer Spools.  There are a lot of really neat tutorials in the sidebar of  Temecula Quilt Copmany's blog.

For more finishes, check out  Sew Much AdoFinish it Up FridayCan I get a Whoop Whoop? , and Freedom FridaysWonderful at Home, and Inspired Friday.

8 comments:

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I love how your Little Letters turned out--the piecing in the border is so sweet!

Purfylle said...

I tend to be overly critical of my work too and then come back to it and think it's not as bad as I thought. Your project looks great!

Terri Ann @ ChildlikeFascination.com said...

This quilt immediately made me think of the old cross stitch samplers too. I'll have to checkout Temecula I've never come across that site! Wondeful job on this quilt.

the girlfriend gap said...

Love what you have done to the edge of your quilt. I have thought about making these little letters. But that is as far as I have gotten. Now that I see yours.... more motivation. :) Thanks for the inspiration. I love alphabet quilts. Janita

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

What a great idea to mimic the embroidered sampler! It is fabulous.

Sheri said...

When you showed the sampler it made me fall in love with your letters quilt! Its quite charming.

Jean Belle said...

Wonderful border! Your quilt is just beautiful. I saved the Temecula instructions for a future project. Hope I get to it this year.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

This was a fun sew along....I to especially like how your mimiced the embroidery sampler...a very classic finish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails