Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Living Without a Microwave

My parents owned an appliance store and I grew up in the era of "You can cook ANYTHING in your microwave!"

Our household been living without one since mid-April. It wasn't a deliberate choice -- the thing stopped working and, after spending a day or two stressing over how I'd manage to get it replaced, the kids and I quickly started to figure out how to do everything without it.

Guess what -- it was easy. Way easier than I would have thought it would be. Other than reheating leftover Chinese food for six people. I haven't figured that one out yet...or maybe we need to eat more yummy takeout so I can get more practice. I also don't like that heating leftovers in the oven heats up the house. That's probably my biggest complaint at this point. Once the weather cools down, that'll be less of a problem.

I'm sure we'll replace the microwave at some point, probably sooner rather than later, but I'm not in a big hurry. (It's not like the oven element that burnt out last week. That sent me into a panicked meltdown as I tried to figure out how to cook for a family of six with three burners, a crock pot, and a rice cooker.)

But for now, I can do without it. I just won't be able to use that melt and pour soap I've got in my craft stash, or try any of those cute cake-in-a-mug recipes I've stumbled across on Pinterest.

I love this woman's post about her kitchen. Go read it -- it'll make you love your kitchen, too.  The same day I found that post, I found another one by a woman who didn't think she could survive until she saved up for a new dishwasher.  I live in a house that's almost a hundred years old and has never had one.  Or a garbage disposal. I've got to admit that if I could add anything to my kitchen (except for that replacement oven element), I'd go for the garbage disposal. I hate picking out itty bitty pieces of ceral that have clogged the drain.

Now, if the sewing machine breaks, that is getting fixed as soon as humanly possible. Kitchen appliances are a completely different priority list.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Some less than ideal circumstances (that I wont bore you with) many moons ago, caused me to have to make do with a microwave, toaster oven, and a hotplate for a few months ... with two pre-teen kids. It's always amazing what you can do when you have to.

And I'd say the one thing I've never had, but would love, would be a dishwasher.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

When my microwave suddenly died I think I lived without one for about two days until I had a chance to go to town & get a new one. When my previous kitchen stove was on it's way out I lived with two burners, then one, along with an electric hot plate and electric skillet for a while. Then I finally threw in the towel and got a new one. If it had just been the burners that went out I'd probably still have it, but it was where they plugged into that wasn't working. With the price of repairs & repairmen, when it gets to a certain point you might as well get a new one. I went for about eight years when my previous dishwasher died and about that long without an air conditioner when it died. I'm older and wiser now!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails