Tuesday, March 10, 2020

{I've Been Reading} Horror Novels on the Kindle App

One of the first ebook authors I read, nearly twenty years ago, was Jeff Strand. The book was Graverobbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary) and I was reading it on the couch on a stormy afternoon while the kids napped. Something hit the window from outside and I jumped. There's something especially fun about reading horror novels by the light of a screen.



When I was browsing through Kindle Unlimited titles, I was happy to realize that he's still writing and has put out a bunch of books in the years that have passed. Last week I read  The Haunted Forest over the course of a few evenings. A massive forest full of monsters has appeared in the New Mexico desert and H. F. Enterprises is offering tours in heavily fortified trams. It's supposed to be safe...  but this is a horror novel so of course it isn't. The book is like a fun monster movie and I really enjoyed it.



I read Ghostland by Duncan Ralston by the light of day, mostly because I couldn't put it down. It's opening day at the most haunted theme park in the world. Haunted structures have been brought in and reassembled and the spirits that haunt them are on display, contained by technology that keeps them in an entertaining loop and unable to harm the guest. Until a computer virus kicks in and things start to go very wrong. This one reminded me (in the best possible ways) of Thirteen Ghosts. Click on the footnotes to get the background of the attractions that Ben and Lilian are passing through - it's definitely worth the extra time. And check out the website that goes along with the book. I can't wait for the sequels.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love it when I stumble across someone who has posted book reviews. I'm a huge reader and I'm always interested in what books are out there. I'm a 'murder and mayhem' kind of girl, and often horror books are in there too. Thanks for the reviews!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails