Monday, March 16, 2020

From Threadbare Sheets to Reusable Grocery Bags

Unpopular opinion -- I'm not a fan of the ban on plastic grocery bags. I'm all for reusing you own bags, but I think this new law is going to create a whole slew of new problems. And because I'm aggravated about that, I put off actually sewing some bags.

I've you've been reading my blog for more than a decade, this fabric might look familiar. It's identical to the thrifted sheet that I used to back Simple Pleasures back in 2009. Not long after I made the quilt, Alex found a set of queen sized sheets at the thrift shop. I called dibs on the fabric if she ever got bored with the sheets.


She never did get bored with them, but after a decade the fabric was pilled and unpleasant and she called and asked if I wanted the fitted sheet to make bags or something. I brought it home and it sat because I wasn't in a bag making mood.

Last night, I finally broke down and started the project. These aren't fancy bags. I didn't measure anything. I removed the elastic and corner seams and then tore the fabric in wide strips. The threadbare part in the very center of the sheet was folded over four times to make the handles. They're lined and sturdy and not the ugliest bags ever.

And I'm kind of sentimental about the fabric.

2 comments:

barbara woods said...

I use the plastic bags to line my small trashcans, would hate to lose them

Sherry said...

We use the plastic bags from the grocery as doo doo bags for when we walk our dog.

It seems dumb for me to have to purchase bags being manufactured for that purpose. . .which actually makes those bags definitely single use bags.

What really "gets my goat" is the fact that almost 90% of the stuff we buy at the grocery is packaged in plastic. . .but they are going after the shopping bags. Go figure.

Your bags look great. . .the fabric is really cool.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails