Saturday, March 29, 2014

Slices of Life



I cook because I have to feed my family, something I think I've mentioned before. Slices of Life: A Food Writer Cooks through Many a Conundrum by Leah Eskin is one of those books that could easily convince me that I want to spend more time in my kitchen, experimenting with ingredients and techniques.

Ever wonder how to to cope with a half baked chicken and a trip to the emergency room to remove a plastic toy from a child's finger? Or how to make a tart that gorgeously imitates the dark night sky? I really, really want to attempt that tart even though I know my own wouldn't match up to the image that the author created in my imagination.

There are 200 recipes in the book and I've made a long list of the ones I want to try -- Dumpling Pillows, Ricotta Stuffed Focaccia, Chicken Paprkash (I've made it before, but want to see how her version compares to the one in my tattered old cookbook), Banana Bread (same explanation) Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (because just knowing that you can make Nutella from scratch makes me need to try it).

The recipes are broken down into steps that she clearly explains. Unfamiliar ingredients get footnotes telling you where you're likely to find them in your own grocery store, or what you can substitute.

The publisher provided me with an electronic review copy of this one, but I think I'll be wanting a paper version that I can bookmarks and haul into the kitchen with me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails