Sunday, January 03, 2016

The First Steps Towards Getting Organized

It's time to reclaim my sewing room. For the past two years, the best I've been able to do was run upstairs and quickly dig for what I wanted or toss in what I was trying to get out of the dining room. You can only do that for so long before what was a perfectly good sewing room starts to look like an abandoned storage unit.

As I've mentioned before, the sewing room is well-insulated but not heated and it only has one lamp for light. During the daytime, it's got great natural light and at some point it will have decent artificial light, but we're not to that point yet. The time I can spend out there is limited by the weather and time of day. Tuesday was chilly, but I bundled up and headed out in search of some specific sock yarn.

My number one rule for these sewing room rummages is going to be that I'm not allowed to wallow in guilt. That includes feeling bad about the mess, feeling bad about misguided purchases from years past, or feeling bad about not finishing projects I started before there even was a sewing room. If I can't tell what it was, I'm pulling out the needles so that I can use them for something else.

I didn't find the sock yarn I was hoping for, but I did find the yarn I needed to cast on a new worsted weight wrap and a set of vintage nylon needles that will get me the gauge I want. I can tell because they were attached to pieces of a garter stitch sweater I never finished. I don't know what size I was making or where I left out in the pattern (not to mention where the pattern itself is), so the needles are free and I'll unravel what's left of the sweater when I decide what to do with that yarn.

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 0 yards
Added this week:  0 yards
Added year  to date: 0 yards
Net added for 2015: 0 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 0  yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 0 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 0 yards
Net Added for 2015: 0 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

6 comments:

Denise :) said...

Way to start the new year! Take command; leave guilt behind; start fresh and move forward ... no looking back! I did a little reclaiming myself--it's nice to have my *space* back! Happy New Year! :)

Kate said...

I'm planning to do some much needed cleaning this afternoon. Good luck with your reclamation project.

Charlene S said...

Taking control of my studio is one of my goals for 2016. This week I plan on working on cutting 1.5, 2, 2.5 strips

Terri in BC said...

I'm feeling the same way this year - Simplify is my word. I am clearing out without guilt as well, as that is the only way I'll get through this! Good luck to you!

Jennifer said...

Good luck with your guilt free organization goals!

Judy S. said...

I need to follow your good example! This afternoon I organized all my knitting patterns and decided I don't need to download any more patterns!!! Next I need to clean off my sewing table.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails