Thursday, January 02, 2014

it's red...and crackly...and it scares me...

Why would a woman do this to the insides of her kitchen cabinets?


Our house has a lot of interesting quirks, but this is the one I have the hardest time wrapping my head around. The scary linoleum in the boys' room must've looked good when it was first installed. The beer can flashing up on the roof probably made sense when the man of the house decided to take that particular shortcut.  But someone spend time and money to make the insides of my kitchen cabinets crackly blood red.

WHY?!

When we bought the house, the kitchen walls and cabinets were pink. The first thing we did was paint them -- and that's when we found out about the lovely red crackle effect that was hiding under the pink, waiting to come through. The woman even crackled the insides of the drawers red.

I didn't realize until this week that it goes all the way up into unreachable top shelves. This is, apparently, the original color scheme.   I don't see the appeal. 


 Anyone know how I can get rid of this lovely effect without spending a lot of money on extra supplies when we repaint the kitchen?

6 comments:

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Wow Michelle, just wow! That took a lot of time and effort to do so I have to think that that lady was a serious crafter. As far as I know the only thing you can do to cover it up is either strip the whole thing which will be time consuming and messy or paint it over with several coats.

Terri in BC said...

KILZ primer will hide the red, but the crinkly effect will still show unless you sand it smooth. Personally, if it is inside the cupboards I would just prime it with KILZ and then paint it and be done with it.

Denise :) said...

Ummm....yikes!!

Unknown said...

Ewww. I'm with you. That's some scary stuff. Like others have said, KILZ should take care of the color part of the issue, but you'll need to do some sanding to take care of the texture. Good luck!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

*speechless* Makes you wonder, doesn't it??

mpv61 said...

Kilz, but you might need a number of coats of that. There might be a few kinds of Kilz, so make sure what you buy is right for covering up stuff. I had some water stains on my kitchen ceiling that I managed to cover up with about a billion coats of Kilz. I still haven't gotten around to doing the regular ceiling paint over that, so the ceiling is a little shiny.

When we were looking at houses (22 years ago now!) there was one with bright red stain on all the cupboards. It put me right off that house. Add to that the fact that there was only one bathroom and it was upstairs...nope. That was not the house we were going to buy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails