Wednesday, July 31, 2013

{Yarn Along} Graphic the Valley

198 Yards of Heaven is growing in fits and spurts, whenever I find some time alone to knit. It's looking more and more scrunched, but since I'm hoping to have it done in a few more evenings I can't work up the enthusiasm to knit it onto a second needle and spread it out. It won't look right until it's finishing and blocked anyway .



I just finished reading Graphic the Valley by Peter Brown Hoffmeister. This one isn't the type of fiction I usually read -- it's more serious and literary. But the premise, a boy who was born in a secret camp in Yosemite National Park and has never left the place,  really intrigued me.  Tenaya's story is told through flashbacks to his childhood, memories of stories he's told by his father, and his current struggle against the developers who threaten the Yosemite Valley.

Here's the book's description:

Tenaya has never left the Valley. He was born in a car by the Merced River, and grew up in a hidden camp with his parents, surviving on fish, acorns, and unfinished food thrown away by the park’s millions of tourists. But despite its splendor, Tenaya’s Yosemite is a visceral place of opposites, at once beautiful, dangerous, and violent. When he meets Lucy, a young woman from the south side of the park, Tenaya must choose between this new relationship and the Valley, terrorism and legend, the sacred versus the material.
 
In this modern retelling of Samson and Delilah, the Yosemite Valley becomes the object of a graphic world where mythical strength, worldly greed, love, lust, and epic destruction come together.



Disclosure -- the book was provided by the publisher.  For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am doing my usual Coffee...Post pattern...peek in and see what everyone else is creating.
OH the magic of blocking...sometimes I don't even like a project till I block it.

With All That I Am
Carrie - The Handmade Homemaker

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails