Wednesday, February 02, 2005

This Could Become an Addiction

I had to go back to the GoodWill Outlet this morning. The knittingparents list is doing a buttonhole bag knitalong, and Alex has claimed the yarn I spent last night unraveling and planned to use. Actually, I guess she's claimed the sweater she wants me to knit from it. It's the right gauge for a ribbed cardigan I wanted to make her, so who am I to argue?

Besides, digging through bins for baby clothes and sweaters to recycle is fun!

The Salvation Army didn't have any decent yarn, or baby clothes, but they had an unbelievable selection of children's books. Lots of Nancy Drew and brand new non-fiction for thirty-five cents a piece. So I've got happy kids.

I found three good sweaters in the GoodWill bins -- and yarn!



I picked up one of the white skeins, surprised that it was there at all, then saw on the label that it was wool and started digging. That's when we found the alpaca, which I had to fight Alex for. It was in a corner of the grossest smelling bin in the place, but it just smells a little old and smoky. And yarn -- especially sixteen-cents-a-skein-alpaca -- can be washed.

I didn't find any sweaters that wanted to become a buttonhole bag, so I think I'll experiment with the fisherman's wool I got for Christmas and some food coloring and try to make some colorful stripes.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails