Wednesday, November 05, 2014

{Yarn Along} The Red Book of Primrose House



Those socks I've been complaining about? Now that it's getting wet and cold and I've had to swap my favorite pair of sandals for the tennis shoes I can barely stand, I'm really appreciating having hand-knit socks to wear!



I really liked Pru Parke, the heroine of Garden Plot. In the second Potting Shed Mystery, The Red Book of Primrose House, I loved her.  The transplanted Texan has finally found the job of her dreams as head gardener in charge of restoring the grounds of  an eighteenth century manor house, but the project is plagued by sabotage. One of her workers is found murdered, and Pru is sure the police are following the wrong trail.

I don't have to like a character to enjoy reading about her, but Pru is just neat. She's older than most of the heroines in the cozy mysteries I read, but never makes a point of her age. She definitely never complains. Instead, she's competent and hard-working, which makes her easy to root for. There's also a sweet romantic element to the books that I hope will continue through the series.

I've also been getting caught up with the Hope Street Church Mysteries. The Graves of the Guilty is a little grittier than the previous two books, with Cooper putting herself into more dangerous situations as she investigates a series of murders. The Root of All Evil weaves three unrelated mysteries together into one intriguing storyline.

For more pretty knitting projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

Donna said...

It has indeed become sock weather! I am loving each and every pair I own these days.

Judy S. said...

What cast-on do you use for your toe-up socks? That's a nice color! It makes me sad to have to give up sandals, too! Your Pru sounds a bit like a young Mrs. Polifax. Have you read those?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails