Monday, June 30, 2014

It Works!

Here are those pieced half square triangles from last week, now that the white half square triangles have been added and I've pressed them with my new-to-me iron


The triangles are fine. They'll be adorable in the baby quilt once I get the other units pieced and assemble them into churn dash blocks...



It's the iron that I'm excited about! And I don't know why. I've got a decent iron that I've been using for the past twenty years. I should probably retire it, or start using the iron that the hedgehog won, but it never seems like the right time for the learning curve of a new iron with different settings and an auto-shut-off feature.

This iron is easy. You plug it in and turn the dial to set the temperature. It heats up fast and it gets hot.  I've always wondered about those old movies where the distracted housewife holds up a shirt with an iron shaped hole in it. My regular iron couldn't do that if I was trying. This one, I'm sure, could. I won't be turning my back on it when it's plugged in, but I'm not sure we should be turning our backs on our irons no matter how many safety features they've got.

I'm linking this post up to Patchwork Times.

5 comments:

Ramona said...

I just had to buy a new iron. For some reason, I go through them rather quickly. Maybe I should look for an old one!

Podunk Pretties said...

Old irons are great! I'll never buy a new again. No need for steam ever again. I think these old irons could cook steak!

Dora, the Quilter said...

You have an iron that has worked for 20 years?! Lucky you! For a while I was lucky if an iron lasted one year--and I dislike the automatic-off ones. I'm going to start looking for a vintage one--although some of those aren't so great either; at least they are less expensive!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm glad you've found a good iron because that isn't an easy thing to do!

Lady of the Manor said...

My mom had an iron like that. She used it for YEARS then I used it for a long time. Sadly, it finally died. :( I'm learning to use my new one but it's not the same. Looking forward to your new quilt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails