Thursday, June 26, 2014

New to Us!

Hubby has a new thermos and I've got a new iron. Judging by the condition and packaging, it's a good bet that neither has ever been used. Which has us both wondering -- why do you keep something for that many years, still in its original packaging, and never bother to use it? 


I know it happens. I've seen it at estate sales before. But at this sale, where there was so little stuff, and most of it was so well used, it felt out of place.


My iron still has its original mailing label and postage. It was sent out on my birthday, ten years before I was born. I don't know why that tickles me, but it does.


We tried to buy Teenage Daughter an almost amazing carved wooden bed (it's got potential, if it was cleaned up and a crack in the post could be somehow fixed), but the old guy wouldn't budge on the price.  Maybe it's worth what he's asking, but not to us. Five days later, the sale is still going and you can still see it from the road. Guess he hasn't found that "right buyer" quite yet.

This post is linked to Vintage Thingie Thursday, Thriftasaurus, Share Your Cup, Ivy and Elephants, We Call it Olde, Savvy Southern Style, Thrifter Maker Fixer.

4 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I love vintage iron and snatch them up if they are in good shape! Enjoy your great finds!

CathieJ said...

In our house we have a Christmas game that often results in new items that we have no use for. Some members of the family store these items for years because they don't want to make anyone feel bad about giving them away. My unused gifts - we have won 5 thermoses - go to my local thrift store. I have kept 8 Christmas kitchen towel sets though. I will never run out. Great finds for you and your husband.

Dar said...

Your iron is a great find. It is old enough that it doesn't have that annoying turn off function when you don't use it for 2 mins. lol

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Michelle, I think it's fun that it was mailed on your birthday too! I bought an old iron at an estate sale, but it had definitely been used. Wouldn't dare plug it in. Just thought it was cute for my sewing room. Maybe you'll luck out and get the bed at a better deal. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails