Saturday, July 27, 2013

{Whatcha Reading?} Medium Rare and Death Takes a Holiday

I've been happily reading about things that go bump in the night.

Medium Rare by Meg Benjamin is the second in the Ramos Family Medium Trilogy.  Rose Ramos inherited her grandmother's house along with the family ghost, Skag. Following in the footsteps of her ancestors, she uses him as a link to the other side and opens Locators Inc., a business which finds lost belongings and information that no one else is able to find. When a reporter posts an ad looking for a research assistant to investigate a celebrity medium, Rose takes the job, carefully hiding her own abilities and history.  The spiritual goings on and séances intrigued me, but I couldn't get into the romance element. The chemistry between Rose and Evan didn't quite convince me. A couple of times, I wanted to smack the man.  I haven't read the first book in the trilogy, but this one stands on its own.

Death Takes a Holiday by Jennifer Harlow is the third book in the F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad series. I haven't read the others, and I don't think this one was the best to start with. Beatrice Alexander can kill with her mind, but she can't sort out the love triangle she's managed to form with a vampire and a werewolf. The tension is tearing apart the government agency that they all work for, so she goes home to celebrate Christmas with her family. And, while she's there, she runs into trouble with a vampire lord and a troll.  I definitely would have enjoyed this one more if I'd understood the backstory between the characters.

Disclosure -- both books were provided by the publishers. I'm linking up to It's Monday! What Are You Reading? at Book Journey.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails