Sunday, July 14, 2013

ugly fabric?

When I told you that my latest new-to-me stash was all usable cotton, I wasn't thinking about the scrap bags.  The lady had quart size Zip-loc bags of scraps for a dime a piece. If I could see one print through the plastic that looked like it would make good bow ties or bits for the Lego quilt, I added the bag to my pile. The plan was to toss the unusable fabric.

And I'd do it, if I didn't see every bit of fabric that comes into my custody as a challenge.

Like this piece. It's not ugly -- I'd use it in a baby quilt if it wasn't for the texture. I'm not enough of a seamstress (or not experienced enough in vintage fabric) to describe this weave. Let's just say that even I wouldn't put it in a scrap quilt.

So what was it from? Judging by the shape of the scraps, someone wore it. I've felt scarier synthetic fabrics in my life, but I still can't imagine wearing something made from this stuff. I can imagine a snap bag, though.

 
And then there's this piece. Imagine burlap, but softer. Why couldn't those shoes have been printed on cotton?
 

Neither of these is going in the trash. They're too vintage for me to just toss.

What do you do with vintage scraps when you come across them? If you won't use them yourself, do you pass them along to someone else who will?


Weekly Stash Report

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 46 3/4 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 228 1/4 yards
Net Added for 2013: 181 1/2 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 2050 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 8700 yards
Net Added for 2013: 6650 yards

To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times. And for more fabric, check out Sunday Stash at Finding Fifth.

3 comments:

Terri in BC said...

I would definitely use that shoe print! Perhaps you could stabilize it with a very lightweight fusible interfacing. I've had good success doing that.

Is the neon print a little heavier weave? I have something similar from the 80's that is not quite a canvas weight - I think it might make some fun tote bags for kids.

Terri in BC said...

I should have added if I come across something I won't use, I try to share the love with my family and one friend that sews, if no one wants it, I either throw it out (if it's too small or really ugly) or donate it to the Salvation Army. They make up bags of fabrics to make utility quilts with and sell them in their thrift shops.

Robin said...

If I don't really like the print then I just toss it without feeling guilty. But, if I like it I find a way to use it. I had some Utah fabric with bees and hives all over. It was a heavy almost canvas weight. I used it in string squares on a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. It fit in just fine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails