The House on Blood Street by Josh Hanson
You know those over the top horror movies that leave you lying awake at night trying to forget (or at least figure out) what it was you just saw? This book is like that, but with absolutely none of the regret. Jack and Avery know there's something off about the fixer-upper they're buying. For them, that creepy collage in the basement is one of the selling points. When they find weird symbols under the dining room carpet, they're even more entertained. It's no secret their new house has a disturbing history. If you've ever asked yourself why the characters in a haunted house don't just walk out the front door, this gives a different perspective. I -loved- this one. (If, like me, you're not a huge fan of classic Italian horror movies, don't let the comparisons put you off. It's a definite fever dream, but it's never boring.)
If Books Could Kill by Kate Eberle
After wishing she could live in one of her favorite author's romance novels, Roxie Mitchell gets almost exactly what she wanted, complete with an adorable meet-cute moment. Then she finds out that her favorite author is branching out and the plot she's trying to survive is a thriller. This book is all kinds of fun. Midway through, I felt like the plot was dragging but by the last few chapters I was completely invested in the fates of the characters. I'd say more, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers here.
A Murderer's Guide to Mardi Gras by Ellen Byron
Within the first few pages, I was reminded of why I've read every book in this series as it came out. The characters and setting are absolutely amazing and this is my favorite of the bunch so far. I love the way cozy mysteries give their readers a chance to vicariously experience so many parts of the world and in this one, I got to peek behind the scenes of Mardi Gras parades. There's an intriguing mystery and lots going on between the characters. I can't recommend it enough, but you might want to start this series at the beginning.
Plant Lady by Minyoung Kang
I'm not entirely sure how to describe this Korean novel. The publisher has it tagged as horror, but I'd disagree. It's more like a cozy thriller with a few well placed splashes of gore and reminded me of An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good, with a much more likeable protagonist who has a deep respect for houseplants and a strong sense of justice.
Murder in Season by Rosie Sandler
Steph and Mouse are at it again, this time planning a community garden for a charming historic village. The residents all have strong opinions and she's not allowed in the locked site without a chaperone, but her temporary roommate is a great cook and she's got big plans for the garden. One section of land has been specifically excluded from the plans and of course that's where they unearth a pair of long buried skeletons (not a spoiler, it's there on the back of the book!) I always enjoy reading about Steph and Mouse. The evolving plans for the garden play a large role in the plot and the parcticipation of various community members means we get more insight into their relationships and who might or might not have motive for murder.
Disclosure -- The publishers provided me with advance review copies.
No comments:
Post a Comment