Tuesday, November 16, 2010

47 to go

I totally lost my momentum this weekend when I got a call that the group I've been making the baby quilts for has stopped doing layettes for needy moms. I expected it to happen soon because the ladies in charge are both in fragile health, but wasn't ready for it to be right now.

Because my quilts aren't all 100% cotton, and most of them contain at least some repurposed fabric, they don't fit the guidelines for a lot of the groups that need baby quilts. And I'd rather donate locally so that my quilting budget is going for quilting, not postage. After making some calls on Monday, I think I've found a pregnancy center that can use some, so I've got my fingers crossed that they'll like the quilts I'm going to take in later this week.

The other group had me so spoiled. I got to make my own rules and knew that if anything ever wasn't up to their standards, it would go back to me and not into the trash. Out of thirtysome quilts, they used them all.

Once I stopped sulking, I quilted and bound the first three of my fifty quilts. They were all done and pin basted, so even if I didn't know where they were going, I might as well finish them, right?







Loading pictures onto the other computer is a huge hassle. I really need to find my cord, but playing with fabric is more fun and the cord is in the room where the fabric is. It'll turn up eventually. Probably about ten minutes after I break down and buy a replacement.

I've got stew simmering in the crock pot for dinner, school amost done for the day, and since I don't have to leave the house, I'm going to see if I can pinbaste the next three tops during nap time.

3 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

I know exactly how you are feeling! I've had the destination for my quilts withdrawn and it does make it harder to keep going. But I'm sure you'll find a suitable outlet for them, just as I did. Chin up and keep sewing :)

Anonymous said...

I love the red and white quilt. May I ask what size the block is, and the size of the centre white block and the size of the red squares? I mostly make baby quilts too, but need some variety in what I make and this quilt looks like something I could add to my repertoire!
Thanks,
Stephanie

Michelle said...

Glad you liked the red quilt! The center blocks are 4 1/2" and the red blocks are 2 1/2." I bordered each white square with red blocks -- two down each of the short sides, then four more down each of the long sides that created. I've done similar quilts with larger squares, depending on what fabric I was trying to use up at the time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails