Saturday, February 27, 2010

I whipstitch my bindings, because that's been the best way I could manage it. Mom and my best friend and what seems like all of the other quilters out there do these perfectly invisible stitches that make me feel a little ill when I think about having to manage it myself. So I whip stitch.

But something clicked last night while I was hand stitching down the binding for Sparkling Gems. I think I've finally figured out how to make those absolutely invisible stitches that the other quilters can manage! Not that mine are invisible, but I've sort of figured out what I'm supposed to be doing with the needle and thread.



I'm going to finish the binding the way I started it because I think it'll look odd if I change techniques mid-stream, but I'm excited to try out my new technique on a different quilt.

What I think finally did make it click was trying a machine binding technique I found in a new magazine. I've tried sewing down the bindings by machine a couple of times, with mediocre results. This way, it actually looks pretty decent.



Now I need to figure out what I'm going to work on for today's sewing party. I'm off to a late start, but I did make the whole family pancakes and as soon as I get another load into the washing machine, I'll be ready to start picking a project.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails