Sunday, May 29, 2016

Not Taking Care of My Fabric Scissors

You know all of those memes and infographics showing the rules for use for good fabric scissors? We don't follow those rules in this house. My scissors cut paper and other questionable things and, more often than not, I'm the one doing the cutting.

This has to take the cake for the stupidest thing I've allowed to be cut with my sewing scissors.



Floor mats for the truck.

I don't know what else we had that would cut through that rubber without snapping. Experience has taught me that my 88 cent Harbor Freight kitchen shears weren't up for the job and I couldn't imagine the school scissors surviving the job, even if I did buy the better ones. So I grabbed my oldest set of fabric scissors and handed them over.

Maybe Hubby can fix them with that fancy knife sharpener my folks got him last Christmas.

What's the worst thing you've cut with your good scissors? Or are you a purist who really never uses them for anything but quilt shop quality fabric?

6 comments:

Libby in TN said...

The worst thing ever cut with my sewing shears was sheet brass. (I'm not married to that man any more!) I ruined an inexpensive pair cutting floral wire when decorating for a rehearsal dinner. BTW, I've heard that cutting paper may actually help keep the scissors sharp, in any case does no harm.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

I protect my fabric scissors! All scissors meant for fabric have a strip of fabric tied thru one of the thumb holes. Ok. I probably cut paper once or twice with them. At least my family members have never been caught cutting anything else. https://tunaquilts.wordpress.com/

Amanda said...

My husband cut packing tape on a box as we were unpacking from a move. I freaked out a bit.

Ali Honey said...

I look after mine. Too expensive to ruin - so is the fabric( in NZ )

Laura said...

I'm not a purest with my fabric scissors. I cut paper with them occasionally. There is a man in town who can sharpen them if I need him to. And I can afford another pair if I need new ones. I also wash my knives in the dishwasher.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine that. Surely there was some kind of utility knife around? LOL My children knew from the CRIB, literally, do not touch Mama's scissors on pain of severe punishment. My husband knew the same. He paid for the Gingher shears and knew if he ruined them he'd be putting out big bucks for another pair. Not even a paper cut. LOL Scissors at my house are taken very seriously - now the expensive kitchen scissors - well one son did use them to cut some plants back ... once! His excuse was all the other scissors in the house were for fabric. =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails