Tuesday, May 17, 2016

How We Celebrated Mother's Day

The Saturday before Mother's Day, Hubby took me to a bunch of estate sales. On Sunday, Teenage Daughter took me up to the Goodwill Outlet in Portland. We've been talking about a trip for ages, but now that she's working full time it's hard to find a day when her schedule and mine come together. 

We used my phone to look up the address and wound up at the wrong bins. I wasn't impressed and Teenage Daughter told me that the other one was better, so we didn't look for very long. Even then, there were interesting sights to be  seen.

I'm positive that my mom tole painted this same goose and goslings back in the 70's, but I can't remember where in the house they hung. That smiling old lady on the right? She's painted on black velvet. I've never seen anything quite like her. 


Near the cash registers were six dollar grab bags of random stuff. Like bug spray. And hotel soaps. The bag in the upper right hand corner of the picture has Mod Podge, washi tape, and lots of different glues and resins. I wasn't feeling particularly daring, but my daughter took her chances with a huge bag of nail polish. When she got it home and counted there were ninety bottles, some of it pretty high end stuff.


I found my treasures at the outlet we had intended to go to in the first place....


We've been in almost desperate need of a new trash can for the kitchen. The one that was in use until yesterday came with the house when we bought it ten years ago. It's cheap plastic and when it the house's previous owners abandoned it,  it was still in decent shape. There's been a crack growing down the side for months, but it was still functioning and I couldn't work up the enthusiasm to buy a new one. 

Unless my "new one" was what the internet tells me is a 1960s era hospital hamper. My daughter thought that, at ten dollars, it was overpriced. I didn't think it was a huge bargain, but I knew that I was spending less than I would to buy a new plastic trash can that wouldn't last.  When I got home and searched online, I saw this same hamper going from $60 (on Craigslist) to $350 (at a vintage site.) 


My other happy find was these --


Teenage Son loves this type of stuff, but by the time he was old enough to really appreciate it, Weekly World News wasn't at the checkout counter anymore. They've got a website, but it's not the same. I'd been hoping to stumble across some at an estate sale someday,  but there they were in the bins.

I also found some tops and skirts, but those aren't exciting enough to post about. Oh, and a pair of boxer shorts with Krispy Kreme donuts on them.  They still had the original paper hang tag, which I think makes them "not icky."  I've also washed them. I don't know what project that fabric will wind up in, but it'll be cute.

This post is linked to Vintage Bliss, Let's Talk Vintage

1 comment:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

The hospital hamper/trash can is a great find!! We got rid of our plastic trash can a few months ago, since it sits out in my kitchen where it can be seen, I wanted a pretty one. Do you know how much trash cans are!!? I paid a horrible amount of $75 and that was on sale and with a coupon for an extra percentage off!! Crazy! I would much rather have one like yours! Cute and functional. =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails