Saturday, March 14, 2015

Recycled Hexie Quilts



Hexagon quilts are popular and have been for a long time. That's the idea behind Recycled Hexie Quilts: Using Vintage Hexagons in Today's Quilts by Mary W. Kerr. She's combined fragments from unfinished quilts with vintage embroidery (or newly pieced blocks) to make a whole selection of quilts, giving new life to long abandoned projects. 


There are no patterns here, but there are plenty of tips for using what you've got and dealing with frayed seams, poor quality fabric, stains. If you've got a partially pieced family heirloom (or nifty thrift store find) this could be just what you need to turn it into a finished quilt.

The book includes a timeline of finished hexagon quilts that is absolutely breathtaking. I didn't realize that there were so many possible layouts!

My favorite line from this book -- "Ignore the quilt police -- they are not invited to your party."

Disclosure - the publisher provided me with an electronic ARC.

2 comments:

Jessica Hadden said...

I will look for this! I have some old hexies that want to play!

Dar said...

Thanks for the review of the book. I have some old hexies that were gifted to me. I bet there is a good layout in that book for getting these out of my UFO piles.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails