Wednesday, June 11, 2014

{Yarn Along} The Girl With All the Gifts

After I started my socks last week, I found a week spot in the yarn. It was minor enough that I just knit past it (bad habit, I know, but only one ply was broken) and kept going. Halfway into the foot, I found a second weak spot and had to make a decision. I like this yarn more than I thought I did and even though I didn't think those broken plies were going to cause me any real trouble (Have I mentioned how rarely I wear my hand knit socks?) I was starting to wish I'd done it right. 



Ripping out half a foot isn't an easy decision for me, but I unravelled the whole thing back to the beginning and started over after rewinding the yarn to look for any other broken plies. There were one or two, then everything deeper inside the skein was perfect.

Would you believe that I cast on the first sock and had it completely done along with the toe of sock #2 by the evening of day three? I think this stuff is a little thicker than my usual sock yarn.

I've got mixed feelings about The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey.




Melanie spends her days confined to her cell, waiting for the soldiers to take her to class. When they come, Sergeant stands with a gun trained on her while two other men strap her into her wheelchair, securing her arm and legs and neck. Once class is over, she's returned to her cell to wait for the next day's classes, hoping that her favorite teacher, Miss Justineau, will be there. Miss Justineau is the only teacher who tells the children stories and brings them leaves to show them what spring looks like.

I can't say much more without spoiling the plot. I loved the beginning of the book, which was completely different than anything else I've read, but by the time I was 3/4 of the way through the characters and plot were starting to feel an awful lot like like an old movie I just watched with the boys. It was a very good book, not a fantastic one.

For more fun projects to drool over, check out On the Needles at Patchwork Times and Work in Progress Wednesdays at Tami's Amis


Disclosure -- The publisher provided me with an advance ARC.

5 comments:

Jess (a.k.a. Rosie) said...

It sucks that your yarn had weak spots! Honestly, I'm one of those people that would have contacted the manufacturer and let them know. It's great you were able frog back and get back to where you were so quickly! Can't wait to see them finished :-)

~ Jess ~
Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

Kat said...

Your socks look absolutely fabulous! You are quite the speedy knitter, too!

The book sounds interesting. I will definitely have to look for it at the library!

Andria said...

That is nice yarn, I'd have ripped it back too :)

Maria said...

A shame about the weak spots, but the yarn looks awesome!

Judy S. said...

I'm with Rosie; think about contacting the manufacturer. For the prices of the yarn now, they should know about the imperfections, IMHO.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails