Sunday, June 01, 2014

Someone Might Need That Someday

I love coming from a family of pack rats. We save things, sometimes things that no one has any real use for at the moment or in the forseeable future. And sometimes that pays off Big Time!

Mom and I were talking about those hot iron transfers that I've got tucked away in the sewing room. It's not that they're lost because the room is such a mess (even though it is), it's that I have
no memory at all of which drawer I might have put them in and no time to go dig around.

My mother is much more organized than I am, and she's still got all of her tole-painting patterns from the 70s in a cabinet sorted into envelopes by subject.


She told me that there were some hot iron transfers, but the first thing I saw when I opened and envelope was this ship in a bottle. I am so having that on my quilt. The boat above it is a line drawing of the one my parents owned when I was little. Mom blew it up from a photograph and made an oil painting. I'm not sure if that fits my quilt or not, but I'm definiteley going to do something with it. Embroidered wall hanging? 


And look at the owl! Talk about vintage!


That's all before I even got to the transfers. I found that exact same spinning wheel on Pinterest last week -- now I won't have to trace it. And the lady with the treadle sewing machine. She's part of a days of the week towel set and they are some of the prettiest images I've stumbled across so far. On Sunday she's standing in front of a stained glass window with an open hymnal in her hands.


I'm swooning over these and I haven't even gone through them all yet. My thought is that I'll stitch a few then dig some more.

Weekly Stash Report 

The new Hobby Lobby is going to open this week and I fully intend to go shopping. I've had birthday money tucked in my purse for months.

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 4 3/4 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 40 1/2 yards
Net Added for 2014: 35 3/4  yards

Yarn Used this Week: 400 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 2575 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 1500 yards
Net Used for 2014: 1075 yards

I'm linking this post to Patchwork Times.

3 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh my gosh, I love the ship in a bottle transfer! And the owl is just too precious (of course, I admit to having an affinity for owls)! Nice, nice, nice! :)

Needled Mom said...

Those are such wonderful designs. I should try to find my old collection of them and see what I come up with.

dorothy said...

I remember using those type of transfers when my mom taught me to embroider, it was the only needlework that she did, so it is a special memory for me. Isn't it funny how owls are hot again..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails