Tuesday, June 03, 2014

A Handy Appliance That Will Scramble an Egg While it's Still Inside its Shell...

Otherwise known as a trouser sock from the Dollar Tree.

I've got boys who love Weird Al songs -- particularly Nature Trail to Hell and anything else that will publicly embarrass their mother. And Mr. Popeil. So when I was browsing through a book from the library and found instructions for scrambling eggs in the shell, I was pretty sure we'd have to try it. The instructions we sort of used are from Instructables.



Basically, you put an egg in a stocking leg and spin it until the contents are all mixed up. It's not quite as dangerous as it sounds -- after a good half hour of spinning, my two youngest boys only managed to break one egg when the spinning sock got too close to the spinner's shoulder. The socks are so tightly woven that there was almost no leaking. After that, the project moved out onto the lawn.

Once the eggs are thoroughly scrambled, you boil them.

Our results were uneven. My egg (on the right) didn't scramble at all, possibly because I didn't get much of a turn before the boys were ready to try for themselves. Quinn's second egg (on the left) was strangely frothy. Leif's egg (on the bottom) was absolutely perfect, but hard to peel. Which might be due to my utter lack of  egg peeling skills.

Because I skimmed through the instructions in the book instead of going to the website and reading the full version, I missed the step where you  use a flashlight to check if the eggs are actually scrambled or not. My boys spun until they got bored and hoped for the best. If Quinn hadn't broken his first egg, I think it would've turned out golden, too.

The whole thing led to happy boys and a discussion of The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg, which my boys didn't know, and the goose from Jack and the Beanstalk, and centrifugal force and how after Mom rinses egg goop out of the sock for a second try, water droplets will fly out and spatter the boy who's spinning it.   It also turns out that the Ronco Egg Scrambler is a real thing, which kind of boggles my mind.

1 comment:

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That is crazy!! My kids will loving trying this :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails