I had a new baby quilt planned using someone else's UFO. I worked out the design in my head while we were driving through the desert toward home, guessing at the measurements of the existing pieces and coming so close to the actual numbers that I surprised myself once I actually did measure them.
The only thing that worried me was the backing. I knew I had a piece of yardage that would work and was sure exactly where I'd set it the last time I was up in the sewing room....
But what if I was wrong? What if it wasn't there? The colors on this quilt aren't going to play nicely with just anything...
Of course the backing was exactly where I'd pictured it in my mind's eye. It was the pieces for the top, the ones I'd had in my hand right before we left for the trip, that were hiding from me. (They surfaced about half an hour after I gave up and decided to work on something else.)
I'm so glad that I've found a use for this fabric. It's a backing sized piece of fairly nice cotton, but I was worried about the snowmen. They seemed too seasonal, and maybe too Christmas-y for a baby quilt. I don't want to admit how long it was before it clicked in my head that this is the exact same fabric on the back of the quilt Quinn came home from the NICU with!
Weekly Stash Report
Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 39 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 87 1/4 yards
Net Added for 2013: 48 1/4 yards
Yarn Used this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 1550 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 7100 yards
Net Added for 2013: 5550 yards
To see more weekly stash reports, click over to Patchwork Times. And to see more fabric stories, click over to Finding Fifth.