Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Meet Sid!


 
When we're on road trips through long stretches of desert, I dream up quilts in my head.  The whole process makes me a little bit crazy, because it's hard to keep track of the math and decide where I might have tucked that piece of fabric that might or might not work with that other piece of fabric that I could vaguely remember finding in one of the scrap bags a couple of years ago. But it is entertaining.
 
On our last trip, I decided to try a two-color (or do I count the background, which makes it three-color?) version of Priscilla.  I made my head hurt a bit trying to figure out whether or not the fabric placement would actually work in real life, and how many strips of green and blue I'd need to cut.  

 
 
It turned out, once I had actual quilt blocks to look at, that the color placement is easy. There are an even number of squares, so you sew them in pairs of blue and green, then sew one to the edge of the pinwheel section with the green on the left and one on the opposite edge with the green to the right.
Then you do the same thing with the remaining edges. And the blocks all fit together just the way they did in my imagination.


 
 

Now the big mystery is why I had a yard of fabric with monkeys on flaming skateboards. I'm sure I didn't buy this stuff as yardage (although I do admit to buying the robot dinosaurs and the ugly King Kong fabric, which were both really cheap.) It did go well with the front of the quilt, though. And now it's used up except for a few leftover inches that I'll hack up into baby quilt squares.


You can find the full instructions for Priscilla here. For this version, I used six blue width of fabric strips and six green width of fabric strips and had a few squares of each left over.


I'll be linking up to Finish it Up Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, and Freedom Fridays, and House of Hepworths, and The Dedicated House.

6 comments:

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I love that blue and green color combination, and I especially love those monkeys! LOL.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Sid is a beauty! I love those colors together and the pinwheel centers are just so cute.

Bev said...

Love, love love the quilt. The colors are beautiful. Thanks for the pattern. Will have to make one . Your work is sooooo nice.

Marlene said...

Love it. The blue and green look great together.

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Your blue and green pinwheel is wonderful. I love blue and green together. Nice quilting too!

ipatchandquilt said...

Wonderful quilt! Your idea has opened my creativity for a quilt I am working on. Thank you very much!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails