Wednesday, February 20, 2019

I've Been Reading...and Buying Adult Coloring Books at the Dollar Tree


The Coloring Cook, the second in the Pen and Ink series by Krista Davis, is a really entertaining read. The mystery starts with an estate sale where Florrie's friend, Dolly, discovers a rare book from the 1700s. The Florist was the first coloring book ever published and a lot of people want to get their hands on a copy. Not long after her discovery, Dolly is found dead with a scrap of paper in her hand that Florrie is sure came from the book, which is nowhere to be found.

In addition to working at Color me Read, a bookstore, Florrie illustrates adult coloring books. As she contemplates the events of her day, she draws. The way she thinks about the other characters while sketching them really helped the elements of the mystery pull together. There's a whole lot going on in this book and it all weaves together into a single engrossing plot.

I had some reservations after reading the first book of the series but after this one I'm definitely hooked for good and I'll be watching for the next one.

The coloring book hasn't quite bitten me yet, but I've been tempted. Over the past month I've found two really nice books at the Dollar Tree. One is intended for moms and moms to be, but does it matter what the title is if there are pretty pictures of yarn skeins and tea pots inside? The other is A Christmas Carol. I can absolutely see packing that one away with the holiday decorations and pulling it out every year...or could if I was that kind of organized.

Disclosure -- The publisher provided me with an advance review copy. 




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails